Get Ready for Tax Appt

Collect Your Records

Collecting and organizing your tax records is key to a successful tax appointment.  A good practice is to review your prior year tax return and compare it to your current year documents.  Often, taxpayer income and deductions are similar from year-to-year and doing a review will help identify missing documents.

New Clients

We need a few extra documents from new clients. These documents help us get to know you and lead to a more successful result. Please bring the following documents to your appointment:

Document Purpose
1. Prior Year Tax Returns (Federal & State) Needed to help us understand you as a taxpayer and they may contain information needed for the current year tax return.
2. Social Security Card for each person claimed on the return. Will reduce the likelihood of data entry errors and will reduce the likelihood of tax identity theft.
3. Driver's License for taxpayer and spouse, if married Needed to verify your identity as required by some states.  Will help reduce tax identity theft and data input errors.
4. Cancelled Check Needed to verify your bank name, account and routing number for direct deposit and direct debit.

All Clients - New & Existing

Tax Organizer & Questionnaire
Please complete our secure online Tax Organizer. The organizer allows us to gather information needed to prepare your taxes and allows you to upload tax documents so we can get started prior to your appointment.

Please review the lists below for tax forms and other documents which may be needed for your tax preparation.

Tax Forms
During January and early February, third parties -- employers, mortgage company, banks, etc. -- will deliver or provide electronic access to tax documents. These documents are needed to prepare your returns. A best practice is to place these documents in a folder and bring to the appointment. The following is a partial list of forms. The forms you receive depend upon your specific situation.

Tax Form Description
W-2 Wage and Income Report
1099-NEC Nonemployee Compensaion
1099-Misc Miscellaneous Income (typically for rent received, royalties, and prizes/awards)
1099-Int Interest Income
1099-Div Dividend Income
1099-B Brokerage Statement
1099-C Cancellation of Debt
1099-G State Tax Refund and/or Unemployment Compensation
1099-Q Distributions from Qualified Education Programs
1099-R Distributions from Pension, Retirement, IRA, and Insurance Contracts
1099-S Proceeds from real estate transactions (sale of home)
1099-SA Distributions from HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage
SSA-1099 Social Security Income
1098 Mortgage Interest Statement
1098-E Sutdent Loan Interest Paid
1098-T Tuition Statement for college expenses
1095-A Health Insurance coverage forms
5498 IRA Contribution Information
5498-SA HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA Information
Schedule K-1 Shareholder's or Partner's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits
Notice 1444-C or Letter 6475 Letter showing amount of 3rd stimulus payment (2021-only)
Letter 6419 Advanced Child Tax Credit (2021-only)

Other Documents & Information

There may be other information needed for your return preparation. For example:

Situation What to Bring
Child or Dependent Care Provider name, address, SSN/EIN, and amount paid.
Purchase, Sale, or Re-finance a home or real estate Closing Statement or Closing Disclosure (formerly HUD-1).  If you sold your principal residence, please bring closing statements from original purchase and from sale. Also provide Form 1099-S or Substitute Form 1099-S for home sale.
Charitable Donations Receipts or other documents to support the amounts donated to each charitable organization.
Non-Cash Charitable Donations Receipts or other documents to support the amounts donated to each charitable organization.  Information needed includes: charity name & address, description of items donated, date donated, value when donated, and value when acquired.
Charitable Miles Driven Total number of charitable miles driven during the year.
Real Estate Taxes Paid Amount may be listed on Form 1098.  If not, a cancelled check or receipt from the tax office.
Property Taxes Paid Also known as Ad Valorem.  These amounts are typically listed on the tag receipts for Car, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, Planes, etc.
Estimated Tax Payments Cancelled check and/or a listing of dates and amounts paid to the IRS or state department of revenue.
State Tax Payments for Prior Year Taxes Cancelled check and or a listing of dates and amounts paid to the state department of revenue.
Medical Expenses Paid A summary listing the total amount of unreimbursed medical expenses by type of expense: Doctor, Prescription, Dental, Glasses, Insurance.
Medical Miles Driven Total number of miles driven for medical care.
Educator Expenses The total amount of unreimbursed expenses (applies to K-12 teachers).
Alimony Received or Paid Total amount of alimony paid or received.  The SSN or ITIN of the ex-spouse.
IRA and Roth IRA Contributions The amount and date of any contribution.
Gambling Winnings & Losses W-2G and/or a listing of amounts won and amounts lost.
Moving Expenses (Military Only) A listing of the costs to transport household items and people from old residence to new residence.  May include lodging, miles driven, gas, van rental, and moving company.  The amount paid or reimbursed by an employer, if any.
Sale of Stocks, Bonds, Investments Description of the item sold including date sold, sale price date purchased, and cost basis.  This information may, or may not, be listed on a 1099-B.
Higher Education Expenses Student account record showing date and amounts paid for tuition, fees, room and board. Other documents supporing educational expenses made for books, required supplies, room & board paid to third parties (e.g. not the university).

Sole-Proprietor Business & Rentals

If you have a small business operated as a Sole-Proprietor or if you have one or more rental properties, you will need to provide certain information relating to the business activity.  Please review the following list:

Income Statement or Completed Worksheet Click for worksheet: Self-employment or Rental
Listing of asset(s) purchased during the year Click for worksheet: Asset Listing
Prior year depreciation schedule. Note: Schedule may be in the prior year tax return. If not, it should be obtained from prior tax preparer.
Purchase, sale or refinance of real estate Closing Statement or Closing Disclosure (formerly HUD-1)
# of days rented & # of days of personal use Note: Rental property only

If you have any questions regarding the documents to bring to your tax appointment, please give us a call at (678) 919-1250 or complete our contact form.